Affiliation: Full Professor of Nutritional Sciences, Department of Medicine, University of Salerno, Italy
Address: via Allende, Baronissi (SA)
Research Interests: My research interests lie in preventive medicine and healthy longevity in humans. It focuses primarily on the potential role of diet, physical exercise and phytochemical supplements in retarding the aging process and in preventing age-associated chronic disease. In particular, I am investigating the long-term effects of calorie restriction, protein restriction, phytochemical-rich plant-based diets and physical exercise on outcomes such as cardiovascular risk factors and function, inflammation, glucose tolerance, bone metabolism, neuroendocrine and immune function, and cancer. I am also interested in the endocrine role of abdominal fat storage as a mediator of insulin resistance and accelerated aging.
Luigi Fontana is a Professor of Nutrition and Medicine at Salerno University Medical School, Italy and at Washington University in St.Louis, USA An internationally recognized scientist, author and expert in the fields of nutrition and healthy aging, he co-directs the Longevity Research Program at Washington University in St.Louis. Fontana graduated with highest honors from the Verona University Medical School, where he completed his internship and residency in internal medicine. He also received a Ph.D. in metabolism from the University of Padua Medical School.
- Klein S, Fontana L, Young VL, Coggan AR, Kilo C, Patterson BW, Mohammed BS. Absence of an Effect of Liposuction on Insulin Action and Risk Factors for Coronary Heart Disease. New England Journal of Medicine 2004;350(25):2549-57
- Fontana L, Meyer T.E., Klein S, Holloszy J.O. Long-Term Calorie Restriction Is Highly Effective In Reducing The Risk For Atherosclerosis In Humans. Procedings of the National Academy of Science USA 2004;101(17):6659-6663.
- Meyer T.E., Kovács S.J., Ehsani A.A., Klein S, Holloszy J.O., Fontana L. Long-term Caloric Restriction Ameliorates the Decline in Diastolic Function in Humans. Journal of American Collage Cardiology 2006; 47(2):398-402.
- Fontana L, Partridge L, Longo VD. Extending Healthy Lifespan—From Yeast to Humans. Science 2010;328(5976):321-6.
- Fontana L, Addante F, Copetti M, Paroni G, Fontana A, Sancarlo D, Pellegrini F, Ferrucci L, Pilotto A. Identification of a metabolic signature for multidimensional impairment and mortality risk in hospitalized older patients. Aging Cell 2013;12(3):459-66.
Events & Presentations
- Harvard School of Public Health, Department of Nutrition, Boston, MA, USA - Lecture's title: "Metabolic and molecular effects of long-term calorie restriction in humans" Feb 22, 2013.
- Seminar on Global Health and Preventive Medicine: Essential Solutions for Sustainable Development, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, USA - Invited speaker – Lecture’s title: “Nutrition Interventions in Aging and Age-Associated Disease” - Apr 2, 2013
- Aspen Seminars for Leaders, Venezia, Italy – Invited expert and speaker at seminar on Healthy and Active Aging – July 12-14 2013
- SENS6 Conference, Cambridge, England - Invited speaker – Lecture’s title: “Will calorie restriction work in humans?” - Sep 3‐7 2013
- Ninth World Conference on the “Future of Science” devoted on “Longevity” - Invited speaker – Lecture’s title: “Seeking the Fountain of Youth: Is Dietary Restriction the Key to a Longer and Healthier Life?”, Venice, Italy - Sep 19-21, 2013.
- Consensus workshop “Interventions to Slow Aging in Humans: Are We Ready? – Scientific director & speaker - International School of Pharmacology, Ettore Majorana Foundation and Centre For Scientific Culture, Erice, Italy – Oct 8-13, 2013.
Research Programs & Projects
- 2013 Bakewell Foundation; “Longevity Research Program”. L.Fontana, (P.I).
- 2012 – 2016: European Community SEVENTH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME, SSH.2012.3.2-1 Making longevity an asset for economic and social development; Collaborative Project “Mobilising the potential of active ageing in europe (MOPACT)”; L.Fontana (co-investigator).
- 2012 – 2014: Italian Ministry of Health: ordinary projects; “Effect of calorie restriction on renal function in obese diabetic patients”. L.Fontana (P.I)
- 2011 - 2014: Bakewell Foundation; “Effect of Protein Restriction on Prostate Cancer in Humans”. L.Fontana, (P.I).
- 2010 – 2013: Bakewell Foundation; “Effect of Protein Restriction on Aging and Disease Prevention”. L.Fontana, (P.I).
- 2011 - 2013: Scott and Annie Appleby Charitable Trust; “Effect of Calorie Restriction on Human Health”. L.Fontana, (P.I).
- 2009 – 2012: 2009 Glenn/American Federation for Aging Research Breakthroughs in Gerontology; “Calorie Restriction and Gene Expression in Humans”; L.Fontana, (PI).
- 2011 - 2013: Glenn Award for research in biological mechanisms of aging. L.Fontana, (P.I).