Affiliation: Department of Economics and Finance (DEF) - University of Tor Vergata
Other Affiliation: Imperial College
Research Interests: Industrial Organization
Tommaso Valletti has a magna cum laude degree in engineering from Turin and holds a MSc and a PhD in economics from the London School of Economics, where he also taught until 2001. He is Professor of Economics at Imperial College Business School, and also Professor of Economics at the University of Rome "Tor Vergata" (Italy). He is a Fellow of CEPR.
Tommaso's main research interests are in industrial economics, regulation, and telecommunications economics. Tommaso is the Editor of Information Economics & Policy, Associate Editor of the Journal of Industrial Economics and of Economica. He has published numerous articles in journals such as the American Economic Review, Economic Journal, European Economic Review, Journal of the European Economic Association, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of International Economics, Marketing Science, and RAND Journal of Economics. For a full list see http://ideas.repec.org/f/pva219.html.
Tommaso is a member of the panel of academic advisors to Ofcom, the UK communications regulator. He is also a member of the panel of academic advisors of the UK Competition Commission. He was a board director of Consip, the Italian Public Procurement Agency, in 2002-2005. He has advised numerous bodies, including the European Commission, OECD, and the World Bank on topics such as network interconnection, mobile telephony markets, and spectrum auctions.
- “Testing the ‘waterbed’ effect in mobile telecommunications,” joint with C. Genakos, Journal of the European Economic Association, vol. 9, n. 6, 1114-1142, 2011.
- “Active and passive waste in government spending: Evidence from a policy experiment,” joint with O. Bandiera and A. Prat, American Economic Review, vol. 99, n. 4, 1278-1308, 2009.
- “Price discrimination in input markets”, joint with R. Inderst, RAND Journal of Economics, vol. 40, n. 1, 1-19, 2009 (lead article).
- “Network competition and entry deterrence,” joint with J. Calzada, Economic Journal, vol. 118, issue 531, 1223-1244, 2008.
- “Differential pricing, parallel trade, and incentives to invest,” Journal of International Economics, vol. 70, n. 1, 314-324, 2006.
Events & Presentations
Research Programs & Projects